Upon completion of the program, information systems graduates have the following knowledge, skill and values:
They will have a practical skill in various technological aspects:
- Application Development: programming principles, objects, algorithms, modules, and testing; application development requirement specifications development; algorithmic design, data object and file structures; client server software development.
- Internet System Architecture and Development: Web architecture design, Webpage development, Webpage maintenance, Webpage evaluation and quality control.
- Database Design and Administration: Modelling and design, construction, schema tools, and DB systems; triggers, stored procedures, design and development of audit controls; administration, security, safety, backup, repairs and replicating.
- Systems and Network Administration: computer systems hardware, networking (LAN, WAN) and telecommunications, LAN/WAN design and management systems software, Operating systems management, systems configuration operations and administration.
- System analysis and Design, business process design, Systems Implementation, Information Systems project management: Strategic utilization of information technology and systems, information systems planning, IT and organizational systems, systems analysis, logical and physical design, design execution, testing, deployment, maintenance, use of IT, customer service.
- Information Systems adoption: customize, configure, and maintain IS solutions and evaluate and recommend appropriate applications in different environmental settings.
- Social and Security issues: identify security threats, protection mechanisms, social, economical and political issues related to IS.
- They will be able to analyze and gather information needs of users in scientific way.
- They will have knowledge and understanding of organizational structure, business rules, procedures, and organizational theories.
- They will get fundamental knowledge and understanding in the areas of management and management functions i.e. planning, organizing, staffing, leading/ directing, and controlling.
- They will have good analytical and critical thinking skills related to Information System development.
- They are able to demonstrate problem solving and creative thinking skills; good ethics; and professionalism in the work environment.
- They will get good interpersonal communication, leadership, and teamwork skills.
- They will be able to communicate in professional way and acquire good report writing skill.
Upon successful completion of the program, an Information Systems (IS) Professional can work in the following areas/ positions:
- The graduate can work as Information System specialist who can help in planning the acquisition of Information Systems; support the Information Systems functions; manage and maintain Information Systems in an organization.
- IS professional can serve as system analyst who can identify and model users’ information requirements; analyze systems; design new or improved version of an existing computerized Information Systems.
- IS professional can work as Computer Information Systems Managers, Computer Systems Administration, Computer Software Engineer, Database Specialist, Network Administrator, Information System Security Expert, IT/ICT Officer, Web Designer, Web Content Editors, Website Administrator, Computer/ Network Security Consultant, etc.
- In addition to analysis and designing, an IS professional can develop new systems.
- IS professional can work as ICT consultant as well as ICT policy maker.
- They also serve in educational institutions as IT Trainer, Instructor, Researcher, etc.
The above job positions do not represent the complete/ exhaustive list of positions appropriate for IS professionals.